February 16, 1978

I woke up at 07:30, feeling rather miserable. Had a quick breakfast, then walked to the Zambian Embassy where I paid 15 shillings (ks) for their visa, but would only get my passport back to-morrow.
Next, I tried to get some dyazide at an apothecary, but he refused to issue it without prescription. Yes, he did have all kinds of dyazide. So I went upstairs and waited half an hour in a full waiting room, admiring legs till the friendly old doctor Gellert gave me the prescription without any questions - in fact, I almost had to persuade him to let me pay him a fee of 20 ks. Next, I had to go back to my hotel to find out the exact names of the pills and once back to the apothecary he promised to have them ready this afternoon. I also took the opportunity to buy some real shaving cream and had a pleasant shave, before catching the 11:30 UNEP bus in front of one of the two "active" hotels, 680 or Brunner. The bus took me through some scenic suburbs to Gigiri and its fancy UN buildings.
A beautiful Pakistani secretary introduced me to Mr. Demmers, presently the only Dutch UN representative in Kenya. The total staff consisted of some 200 professionals and 150 supporting staff.
(please click to enlarge)
Unfortunately, the entire UNEP Regional Seas Programme staff, directed by Stephan Keckes whom I had met earlier, had been transfered to Geneva, except for two discontent ladies, Sachiko Kungbana,a Japanese lawyer, and Mona Bjerklund, a Swedish conservationist.
Demmers had worked in California for 12 years and at USIS in Wassenaar for 3 years. The total UNEP budget for 1972/7 had been $ 100 million, while they anticipated a budget of $ 150 million for 1977/82. We had a fine lunch on a terrace while chatting and I paid my own lunch, 10 shillings ("going Dutch").
I took the 14:00 bus back, loaded with documents and brochures. At Hertz, I found out that the Suzuki safari was overbooked. So I booked a Datsun against a 4K s deposit on my American Express card, for delivery 09:00 tomorrow morning. At the apothecary, the man made more problems and I had to go to another two apothecaries to get all the pills I needed. Next, I walked back to my hotel through a 100% black part of town, where a tall girl with elegant curly hair walked along asking all kind of curious questions. In the hotel, I fell asleep fast and was startled getting a call from Hertz to confirm the car for tomorrow. This somehow relieved my headache and toothache, so I decided to take a walk. While I was looking at a moray eel in a large aquarium, I was picked up by another exotic girl with who I had two beers in the Ambassador Hotel Bar. This place was frequented by a very diverse crowd, including one gent who only talked in gestures. I went around the corner to a cosy place and had fish and chips, of which I gave half to 4 cute little boys hanging around with the numerous ladies strolling in and out, apparently in connection with an upstairs nightclub complete with with rooms for patrons. It was a jolly atmosphere reminiscent of Patpong in Bangkok. In general, the ladies were large and voluptuous with large bulges but narrow hips. The men spoke a strange dialects, were jolly, and a few were drunk. I talked with two sisters, one of which spoke good English while the other had the figure. They offered to come to my room for 20 s each. A white girl was telling how she had been stopped by a black police man who had asked her: "Lady, what colour am I?" She had not dared to answer, so he explained: "If my hand is up, I am green, and if my hand is down, I am red." Now she understood. I went to bed rather late that night, anticipating getting a car tomorrow,
BLO fecit 20070717 - 1978 TOUR - previous page - next page