April 24, 1978: Got up at 07:00, washed my clothes, wrote up journal and tar-pollution data. It is still pleasantly cool but the sun is getting higher and crows are making screechy noises. I read that President Reddy will be in nearby Chavara, some 10 km from Quilon, to open a "tin-mine": the ore is beach sands, probably cassiterite . I sent a letter to American Express and a dozen postcards to family and friends. While waiting for Cleetus, I had breakfast. He was late and we agreed to go to Mattancherri early that evening. I walked to the Post Office and to the University of Cochin; I happened on a house with the name of Dr. Kurien Jacobs and a charming elderly lady (who had a Ph.D. in pollen as I discovered later) told me how and where to locate her husband.
This involved finding the marine geology building, apologetically walking through an ongoing lecture by Dr. Lakshmanan and climbing some stairs to end up in the office of a most sympathetic elderly professor with a small pointed beard: Dr. Jacobs. He summarized his career - started as a paleontologist - and travels, involving Australia, 5 years United Nations surveys in South America (should know Jan Groot, UN,- S.Am.- pollen - 1970's), Indian Geological Survey, visit to Scripps for remote sensing course; he had spent the last two years organizing the marine geology department, using standard textbooks and now had some 6-12 students. He introduced me to Lakshmanan, who was a sedimentologist and had studied under the fabulous Allen in Reading, UK. Their major applied problem is beach erosion, and a Board had been appointed to study the topic. As a first measure they had used boulders for shore protection. As a consultant, he gets paid some $ 50 per day + expenses. He recommended that I visit Prof. C. Karunakaran in Trivandrum.
Next, the president of the geology student society (20 members), invited me to give a lecture on beach erosion to-morrow at 10:00. When he said that they had recently had a lecture by Don Walsh (of "Trieste" repute) I agreed to do it. Then Lakshmanan took me to a film salesman by rickshaw, and I changed a $ 10 travelers check with minor problems.
After elaborate farewells and see you agains, I took the ferry back to the Grand Hotel where I picked up Cleetus for a quick round of milk and coconut milk and toddy, which rendered us both soaked and sauced. Rather than having him stop every few steps to buy a single cigaret and light it on a small flame, I asked a strong old rickshaw man to run us to the shore. The beach here was rather wide and badly polluted by tar from a recent spill: 260 ft x 6 ft yielded 175.8 gms! There were some cusps with 100 ft spacing, some scarps, black magnetite stripes in the quartz sand, groins made of metamorphics (charnockite?), Navy emplacements, and distressingly many human feces. I almost stumbled over the newly emplaced boulders running to take a photograph of the catumaran fleet returning from a day at sea, with their sails bulged out by the sea breeze. I was happy to see a good catch of silvery sharpbeaked tuna, and noticed sardines as well.

Through the flowery lanes we walked back to the hotel where we had a cold beer till suddenly the power was interrupted and we had to evacuate to the inner courtyard. I took a shower before ordering a good shrimp dinner. After that, we went to the Cape and watched boys casting nets and the sunset over the Chinese nets. Since Cleetus promised Anglo friend Mary did not show up, he took me on a rapid ferry estaphette in search of special ladies. This was a bit of a nuisance, so I thanked Cleetus for his efforts and returned to the Grand by myself. Over a final glass of ice-coffee, I did, however, decide to stay in Cochin for a couple more days.

BLO fecit 200606264 - next page